Suiting Up





Suits have always become my answer to questions pertaining 'How can you do a complex look yet having it relatively succinct?' and 'How to make a formal look appear casual?'. To be frank, having to be thrown with such questions can be a challenge. Complexity meets succinctness are bringing two end poles together and forcing them to meet. Making a formal look turn out casual itself has oxymoronic meaning behind the statement. Despite such 'abstract' ideas are not easily comprehensible by many, I thought 'Suits' was actually the most appropriate answer.

I consistently resort to suits when I am thrown with an invitation to some party, or social event, or even a birthday celebration that includes hotel's hospitality. Yes, suits might be the only answer to all the male species out there when you're invited to a banquet. Yet, I find that they are the only source of pillars of support when I am stuck in my frequent times of 'Omg, I have nothing to wear' and I really need to get my ass out of the house in five but I still wanna look chic.

They really have rendered me ineffable when it comes to explaining its chicness whilst hung on racks of similar yet different styles. I went to Suit Supply's opening party once (I was about to appear in a suit, but then again, isn't it a little too predictable? Hence I kept my blazer on and exchanged the pants for a different colored shorts); the interior design already brought me to the aforementioned ineffable state of mine. Simple and clean, yet abstract with several assorted colors and prints. As I got closer to the shop, it was like Cocaine. I was totally drawn in by the array of marvellously structured blazers and trousers and ties and cuff links that I forgot about the champagne (usually I dive into the champagne counter first).

I ran my hands through the racks of blazers and tailored trousers. How could such a store not be properly introduced in our country? A man no longer has the excuse for not being able to possess a properly tailored suit. All men has to at least own one suit (preferably navy or pinstriped blue). I vowed to own a piece of navy suit, but I have yet to find the appropriate piece. I managed to actually find one in Suit Supply, I flipped over to check out the price and realized that I could have afford it if I go on a no food diet for half a year, plus a huge loan from the bank.

So how can I seize a grandiose suit that is tagged with a not so ludicrous price? I was opting for Zara, but Topshop could do good as well. Or maybe Shopbop and East Dane when they are on sale.


To play fair to the whole connotation and stereotype that suits are only meant for males, I have decided to showcase different solutions for both genders. You will notice that none of them fall under the norm core (aka black tux), because that would only be appropriate in weddings (even then I would want to be in a Thom Browne whale suit of different blazer and bottom) and not street style. A pinstriped suit (from Topshop) is always the best when it comes to the first safe step out of your comfort zone (and financial zone) and a khaki blazer paired with a similar hue 'midi' skirt (Josh Goot via Shopbop) is pertinent when it comes to affairs to remember (pun intended). And for the men, let's still keep the dark acceptable hue with this navy x pseudo pinstriped (score!) jacket and pants suit (E Tautz via East Dane) which is currently on freakin' sale (score x2!!) or perhaps if you want to be that male lead in the lady's aforementioned Affairs to Remember, this similar olive suit might let you score that spot (Mr Start via East Dane).

Even though I was deterred by the extravagant price (however I can justify an Issey Miyake bag for that price, lol) that was designated to almost all the suits in Suit Supply, my determination to press on and find a similar (and monetarily ideal) was never deterred. De facto, I drew out my yellow suit I got from Zara a few seasons back to constantly remind me of this, and simultaneously, to instil a mindset that no matter how prosaic you can be on that day, you can always escape it by wearing a suit.

Zara yellow suit, Man Repeller x Patterson J Kincaid banana muscle tank which I found an unfortunate hole that rendered me to produce torrential cries for three hours (Lol, jk, but I was nonetheless devastated), Marni x H&M scarf as arm party and Zara patent loafers.

Image credits Imran, collage images from all over the web.