Sean Seyfried Guides: How to Wear French Slogan T-shirts









There's this book I just bought recently and I'd automatically deem it as my 'self-help' because it was something I have been trying to procreate but nevertheless (as expected) failed innumerous times. It is titled 'How to be Parisian'. 

The idea of it is succinct, it's either you can grab it effortlessly, or you'll just wind up in a disastrous 'wannabe' moment. There's this certain je ne sais quoi I believe that hook many individuals into trying to look French. I had once tried to emulate looking both French and New Yorker on separate occasions and I could pretty much say that being French isn't as easy as being drenched (in the rain). My New York side was still dominant despite countlessly trying to recreate that effortless Parisian look.

So what went wrong? Was I falling into that 'wannabe' category? I hope not. Despite the diversely filled photos on style.com by Tommy Ton (especially during Paris fashion week) that triggers our artistic right hemisphere of our brain and intuitively channeled into our next Outfit-of-the-day that might be just the cause to the increasingly proliferated number of people trying to duplicate the look, I personally think that only the authentique French/Parisians are the ones who can really kick off the look effortlessly.

Instead of being inherently stubborn and making a big 'I am French, I am Parisian!' ruckus that might permanently cut off my hopes of actually successfully replicating the French look, I decided to improvise by adapting my 'New Yorker' ways into becoming 'French'. Still remembering that joie de vivre moment I mentioned previously when I'm dating the city? This time round, I'm trying to date the French: by wearing t-shirts in French slogans.

I could say that the date(s) went favorably well: I'd managed to double book two French guys in a day, namely Champs-Élysées and Yes Monsieur (which in English, meant Yes sir(!) in a very subtle Samantha Jones demeanor).


Just in case you guys want to skilfully achieve the same look, here are three ways you could actually adapt that French style with your New Yorker accent.

Left image: Être Cécile Je Parle Francais t-shirt (which means I speak french) tucked into a high-waisted H&M sequinned skirt and some furry 3.1 Phillip Lim shearling loafers.

Middle image: CHRLDR Très Bien t-shirt (which means very well) paired with a Rag & Bone bright lapel blazer and some Zara cigarette jeans. Total french look right? But we'd minus the court stilettos and throw in some Alexander Wang sports styled sandals.

Right image: Sincerey Jules Oui à L'amour t-shirt (which means yes to love!) tucked out this time round with 3.1 Phillip Lim shimmery-esque pants and some Stuart Weitzman signature nudist strappy sandals.

So how's the idea of looking pseudo Parisian with French slogan t-shirts? Frais, or nay?

Former look: Topshop grey blazer, Zara slogan t-shirt that says Champs-Élysées, Zara cigarette jeans, Zara patent slip-ons and Proenza Schouler clutch. Everything is like Zara. 

Latter look: Forever21 assorted necklaces, Zara Yes Monsieur t-shirt, H&M jacquard trousers that you can obviously tell it's two sizes too big, Charles & Keith velvet slip-ons and How to be Parisian book.

Image credits Imran, collage images all around the web.