The Sports Trend






After being clouded in a peacock full of colour and print combination for the past week, I have decided that monochromatic was the only hope to break free from my 'monotonous' regime.

Lol, I kid.

But what if I mentioned that I'd strive to achieve the pictured pseudo casual-meets-sports look, would anyone believe me? Or would you choose to conclude that I'd actually randomly pull out clothing from my closet (which 'fortuitously' running shorts was one of them) and plaster it across my body and thus forth claiming that I'm doing a casual sports wear look because I appear to resemble one coincidentally?

When it comes to elevated sports wear, I couldn't help but wonder: When do we know when sports wear becomes too sport-ish?

Last Sunday, Big decided to put on a pair of typical athlete's shorts that he had circa 2006 whilst sliding into a perforated t-shirt of similar atramentous hue he got a month back at H&M. He was almost ready for a run, just that he never liked to run. I was puzzled. In the midst of bewilderment and conscious on-going reality, I realized that the sports fashion has seemingly intertwined into our daily fashion that high street brands are starting to curate garments we can easily purchase off from Nike or Adidas, just that they're in a more fashionable way with loud sports motifs (which solely comprises of numbers) like a big two, or a patent number (cue 23 being the most commonly used number) stretched across the frontal part of your t-shirt. Slip it into a pair of running shorts you'd used it for high school physical education lesson (that wasn't exactly aerobically effective), bam, when you realised it, you're in the city, the place where you once vowed never to wear sweat pants or sports attire anywhere near it. And you'll notice that everyone who once made that vow was breaking them too.

Is sports at its equilibrium and if so, does the sports fashion emanate faux healthy lifestyle?

Perhaps it was partly due to the influence of Alexander Wang's upcoming collaboration with H&M, which has already been publicized (and leaked with teasers) that his entire collection will revolve around the sports theme. Or maybe it was the rise of beanies and base ball caps for two consecutive seasons (cue fall 2013 for former and spring 2014 for latter) and the sudden obsession with stylish sneakers (cue Man Repeller for Superga, Maison Martin Margiela for Converse and mandatory New Balance, which haven't made it into my closet yet and I'm fine with staying in this current relationship) that sparked the speculation that gym-wear could actually be the next big thing.

Foam injected skirts, sweat pants, slub t-shirts and perforated tanks were proudly introduced into our current trend. Are they here to dwell, or are they starting to prepare for their departure? I'd hope I could put an adjournment to this trend when I'm actually hitting the gym, but hey, I'm eyeing on that boxy cut 'Wang' embossed pullover from Alexander Wang x H&M. And don't you think Sundry sweat pants could actually look great with strappy four-inch sandals? How about some Adidas by Stella McCartney running shorts with a pair of sneakers, like what I did?

Cheap Monday sunglasses, Feist martyr muscle tank, Random running shorts which would render me to shame if I actually to, Superga red sneakers and Marni x H&M scarf as arm party. Do I look sport-ish??????? I think I do, but on a scale of one to ten, how enthused am I in badminton? I believe, as inferred from the above pictures, it's -10374929.

Image credits Imran