The Tale of Two Cities



I know this might be a challenge, but guess this: Which of the above demonstrated images depicts the analogy of French chic?

A) Image One

B) Image Two

C) None of the above because I look like a retard.

D) The answer is actually A because I was clothed in an Isabel Marant x H&M purple linen tee (which happened to be feathers, and I wasn't even aware of this until Big pointed it out) and just a simple white biker jeans, that having such an appearance (and label, Marant is french) would subconsciously rendition me to indicate myself under the category of 'French'?

So here's another question: If I'd look french and the aforementioned title of this blog post is about 'The Tale of Two Cities', which city does image two express?

A) New York City

B) New York City

C) New York City

D) All of the above

'You don't look french at all', Big jokingly remarked.

It didn't seem like a joke, it sounded more like an aggravation instead. I looked into the mirror and found my reflection gawking back at myself. Don't I look French? Despite conceiving (albeit more like perceiving) that French generally demarcates itself to Black Island, was I unable to break through it with couleurs? So after all these time trying to emulate my ideology of French, have I actually, failed?

I couldn't help but wonder: Does 'Looking French' means wearing noir and only noir (or the monochrome palette)?

The next day I left my house feeling somewhat defeated from not being able to procreate the conventional 'French chic' due to my deficiency in some atramentous garments (like not having a proper black oversized blazer that sits at my ass with elaborated shoulder pads, or a proper black skinny jeans that are neaty slit at my ankles, or a black slub t-shirt or tank top) which subsequently led to my denim hodgepodge (again) denouement.

Whilst I was steaming my wrinkled pseudo polka-dotted shirt and trying to dig out from the array of synonymous looking denim jeans I inherit, I cogitated: Perhaps I wasn't cut out to look French. Perhaps I was supposed to look tous les New-Yorkais. If emulating Carrie and Man Repeller was more Sean than mimicking Emmanuelle Alt and Carine Roitfeld, why should I aspire to look French?

I got my brother to snap a picture of myself and I sent it over to Big. In today's age whereby WhatsApp is the new messaging platform, What'sNot easy for Big to reply me instantaneously?

A few minutes of contemplation, my phone received a reply: You don't look very New Yorker either (insert tongue smiley emoticon)

I typed 'Whatever' and hit the send button.

(Former: Isabel Marant pour H&M purple linen tee, H&M Spring 14 white jeans, Latter: Zara denim oversized shirt, Zara denims, the studded brogues are also from Zara and the bag, nope it isn't from Zara, it's from Monki.)

Images done by Big and my brother using an iPhone 5S