Dress to Impress or Dress in Distress?




'What is with this heat?'

The aforementioned remark was basically an obiter dictum made by almost every single individual (as in everyone, not as in single/in a relationship/widowed/single and fabulous) residing in the tropical country situated at the equator. In short, it's Singapore. The weather has been really unforgiving recently, triggering glands to aggrandize in sweat count and ruining almost every leather/suede/velvet item I own.

I woke up today at 4 am feeling extremely uncomfortable. I thereafter found myself drenched in my pool of perspiration because my air condition broke down midway throughout the night. I couldn't, be like Carrie Bradshaw, stay over at Big's place to abuse his cooler environment because it's four in the morning (who even wakes up at this time?) and there wasn't any cabs around. Lol jk, I didn't leave my house at all.

Fast forward five hours of being disturbingly awake: I looked at my monstrous legs; my next waxing appointment was three days later (tried to reschedule but couldn't) and I didn't do a restock on shavers. I let out a deep sigh. Either I face society with my furry chimpanzee-esque legs and get judged or conceal them and get judged. After much contemplation, I chose the latter in order to safeguard my satin smooth Victoria Secret Angels' legs reputation.

I put on my dark denim ankle grazed skinny jeans, threw on a similar navy hue muscle slub tank and clutched on to my Proenza Schouler. Before I could even leave my house, I was already panting with exhaustion whilst wiping trickles of sweat droplets on my forehead. I thought: Is this how hell feels like? How could they survive without wearing leather jackets (in fashun perspective)?

As I got to the city, I found myself relatively 'underdressed'. People were still in jean jacket, leather (even though they might be faux, but it was good quality faux), wool blend pullovers and beanies. I thought to myself: How could fashion driven individuals (though some are not literally galvanized by fashun per se, but we all know fashion is an inherent part in our lives) in our society are voluntarily inclined to sacrifice beauty over comfort despite the sweltering thirty plus degrees? Despite knowing that I do fall into this abyssal loop hole as well, wasn't there a more preferable alternative like muscle tanks and jeans (or denim cut-offs)? Couldn't they find a way to amalgamate both beauty and comfort?

I could't help but wonder: Is it very challenging?

(to be continued but I'm unsure if that would occur, or not)

(Topshop navy slub muscle tank, H&M dark denims but ankle slit my yours truly, Antipodium python loafers and Proenza Schouler PS1 clutch in midnight)

Image credits Imran